The first, awarded by the Kendall County Bicentennial Commission, was in recognition of the building ("Yorkville Congregational Church") as the "Oldest Standing Church in Kendall County, Built 1855." Today, it remains the oldest surviving non-residential building in the United City of Yorkville, and the second oldest religious facility that has retained its integrity in all of Kendall County. A historical marker was erected on the south wall of the building in 1976 to commemorate this distinction.
The second award was of national merit. In 2016, the Chapel on the Green met the rigorous criteria and application requirements necessary to earn the distinction of inclusion on the official list of the National Register of Historic Places. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's national Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate and protect America's historic and archeological resources. More than 90,000 properties are listed (as of 2019) on the National Register. Our building is one of the ten listed in Kendall County. The marker appears at the front (south) entrance to the building.
The Chapel acknowledges, with great appreciation, the hard work and dedication to historical preservation shown by former Chapel member, Stephenie Todd, for her successful completion of this detailed project. No small task, the arduous process required hours of attention, including a detailed description of the property and building (down to the smallest architectural details), as well as a complete history of the building's purpose and its historical significance. Sadly, Stephenie passed away on November 7, 2016, just after the award was announced.